Wrestlemania 33 has the potential to be one of the best Manias in recent history. With the brand split allowing deserving superstars to finally get the opportunities they deserve, the possibility for ten or more top notch matches is extremely high. However, there are more deserving superstars than the Wrestlemania card allows for, and that’s unfortunate. It’s also unfortunate that WWE may not give all deserving superstars that chance to shine on the grandest stage of them all, the stage the all WWE superstars dream of performing on.
There are a list of rumored matches to take place at Mania, and there are a few that I feel have no place on the Mania card. These rumored matches are just that, rumors, and may not actually happen.
- Goldberg vs. Lesnar: I’m actually excited about this match even though I’m not a fan of either of these guys. I think WWE has done a great job of properly building this feud. I do hope that this match is a little longer, and I also need Brock Lensar to actually put effort into this match. I don’t want to see 10 suplexes & 5 F5s. I don’t need to see a technical wrestling match but a proper brawl is necessary.
- Bray Wyatt vs. Luke Harper: The story behind this match currently is that Randy Orton, the winner of the Rumble, is refusing to fight his leader. I do like this angle. And I’m loving this slow build of Orton in the Wyatt Family. Originally I had been thinking that Orton would be added to this match to make it a triple threat, but I think the more interesting angle would be for him to be ringside to ‘serve’ Bray Wyatt and to make sure he retains the championship. This will help solidify the split with Harper and help move forward the much awaited turn from Randy Orton.
- John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. The Miz & Maryse: I just don’t get it. There are rumors that Nikki will be taking time off after Mania, but why would this be that match for her to leave on? I think it will be an awesome moment for each of these superstars to be in the ring with their significant others, but this just isn’t a Wrestlemania caliber match. I’m not saying that they won’t put on a good match, hell, they may even put on a great one, but WWE is rushing this ‘feud’ with the Miz and Cena, and even worse, nothing has happened to Mayrese that she should be so mad at Nikki for. First, Mayrese had an over abundance of powder in her hand, and then Natalya threw Nikki into her, so why is she mad at Nikki? Same thing happened at Elimination Chamber. Mayrese was awkwardly standing backstage and then Nataya tossed Nikki into her, AGAIN. So why is Nikki to blame? I would like to see this match at a different time with a proper build up. UPDATE: The promo on Smackdown this past Tuesday was great. It made me slightly excited to see the match, but i’m still not interested in Mayrese & Nikki Bella. Hopefully they build that side of the feud properly too.
- Roman Reigns vs. The Undertaker: Sigh. The Undertaker is my favorite superstar ever, and I’d rather not see him at Mania then see this match. Roman Reigns has come a long way in the past few months, and has greatly improved his in ring ability, and I don’t think he still deserves to be booo’d out of the building. He has been a victim of poor booking, and this is another example. WWE wants Reigns to be the ultimate baby face. This is not the way to do it. Fans will not cheer for someone who beats The Pheonom. Well, maybe there are like two or three superstars that would be cheered: Zayn, Shinsuke, & Balor. Now, if they wanted to turn Reigns heel, then this is the perfect match & Taker would do a great job at putting Reigns over, but lets be real, that probably won’t happen.
- Big Show vs. Shaq: This match is taking a spot away from the people that have worked all year to perform at the biggest event in Wrestling.
- HHH vs. Seth Rollins: I hope this match happens. It was building before Rollins got injured last year, and then again this year when HHH handed the belt to Owens. Although they dropped the storyline for a long time, they did a great job at building it back up.
- Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho: This could be match of the night. Fingers crossed they get actual time to show it.
- Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha vs. Nia Jax: Not sure why Nia Jax is in this match. I get that she’s the unstoppable force in the RAW Women’s division but she hasn’t properly been built into the title picture. We’ve mostly seen her in scrub matches, and it’s quite possible her being in a match with more experienced women will only show her weaknesses.
- Andre The Giant Battle Royal: This will be much needed to showcase a lot of deserving talent.
- American Alpha vs. The Usos: I’ve been waiting for this since American Alpha was called up. With the Usos being heel now, this should be a great feud and AA will finally be able to showcase the same skills that got them to the main roster.
Some things will be resolved after fastlane, but currently these are the superstars that don’t have a place, and some of these stars will be included in the Battle Royal assuming WWE has it.
- All cruiserweights
- RAW Tag teams: Anderson & Gallows, Cesaro & Sheamus, Enzo & Cass
- Sami Zayn
- Braun Stroman
- Samoa Joe
- Finn Balor
- AJ Styles
- Dean Ambrose
- Apollo Crews
- Baron Corbin
- Smackdown Women: Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch, Natalya, Naomi (unfortunately due to injury she may not be cleared)
Wrestlemania 32 had 12 matches on the card, with three of them being on the pre-show, and one of them being a 6-second impromptu match. If the card were to stay as rumored, that would mean that there is only potential for one more match to be added, which means we wouldn’t see several titles defended. I really hope that a few of the rumored matches get scrapped to allow for the more important matches to happen.
photo credit: WWE.com
Categories: Dual Brand